Congratulations to the following 2004 Shields Scholarship Winners. These awards were presented at the February 24, 2005 meeting.
- Brian Aarons Memorial Scholarship – Christina Oliva attending LaRoche College
- Ptl. Phil Cardillo Memorial Scholarship – Christopher Tricarico attending Stony Brook University
- P.O. George Scheu Memorial Scholarship – Nicholas Mizio attending Timlien Creek
- Hugh T. Kelleher Memorial Scholarship – Michael Shakarian attending Adelphi University
- Walter Schilt Memorial Scholarship – Christopher Musa attending SUNY Cortland
- Arthur Van Pelt Memorial Scholarship – Kaitlyn Bolzis attending MacArthur High School
Sergeant Kevin Harford, while off duty on his way home after his tour, spotted a 1995 Mercedes fitting the description of a vehicle seen speeding away from an armed push-in robbery earlier in the day. Sgt. Harford spotted the vehicle and recognized the occupant as the subject of the description that was transmitted during his tour. At approximately 10:30 P.M. Sgt. Harford took the initiative, followed the vehicle and called his command for confirmation and notified them of the situation. He then called 911 and advised them of the situation and with help from the 108 Pct. and the City’s Sheriff’s Department the vehicle was stopped on the Queens side, lower level of the 59th St. Bridge.
Arrested and charged was Stephen Jacks. Police believe Mr. Jacks was also the daring robber who held up a maid in an East End Ave. penthouse at gunpoint on Friday, June 25th. Police are investigating whether Jacks is the person responsible in at least five other robbery/burglaries including two others on the upper East Side.
The spree began on May 15th at a ritzy upper East Side duplex when an armed bandit posed as a deliveryman to get inside, held up a maid and stole jewelry.
Mr. Jacks has three prior burglary arrests.
Because of his keen observations and his good police tactics in pulling over and apprehending the suspect, the Long Island Shields are proud to present Sgt. Kevin Harford as our Police Officer of the Month for September.